Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Nutrition-ista


I hate cooking. I mean I really hate cooking. Growing up, I would tell my mom I wanted to become a doctor so I would not have to cook. (as if doctoring and cooking were mutually exclusive.)  My mom would try to make cooking fun and interesting but I could not be convinced. Many meals and years later, I still hate cooking.


Strangely, however, I love the science of nutrition. Nutrition has been a passion of mine since I was 10 years old.  I have always been a curious investigator about the health consequences of food. As a teenager I remember reading food labels (the few items that had them). As an adult I bought into the low fat diet. However, after doing my own investigations, I have shifted my views.

So instead of a low fat or low carb or low-anything diet, I like to eat foods that are whole and fresh (verus processed or preserved).  Like fresh fruits and vegetables. I limit dairy,eggs and meat. I avoid fried and sugary foods. (The sugary part is really hard for me, I have sweet tooth). 
 
Many people wonder what types of foods I choose for my daughter. With my passion for nutrition and dislike for cooking I try and keep it simple.

Here are the top 4 on my list. 

1.) Avocados are an amazing source of nutrients. More importantly, they are a good source of healthy fats.

2.) Walnuts , flax seed , and almonds are yummy. A handful of nuts a day with a fruit can keep you satiated longer than eating the fruit alone. And the nuts are packed with omega 3  
     fatty acids to help prevent heart disease.

3.) Blueberries , raspberries, and strawberries are all packed with antioxidants.

4.) Amaranth its a grain, my daughter eats it as a cereal with cinnamon and ground nuts and berries. She loves it. It is packed with iron and has a low glycemic load.

It is hard to eat fresh foods without staying out of the kitchen. So I do end up cooking.

The most important to do's on the cooking healthy list include:
  • Prepare fresh foods daily (avoid things in boxes or packages). I know I said this, but it is so important it deserves to be repeated.
  • Prepare your foods in a healthy way.  For example, french fries are unhealthy because they are deep fried. Baked potatoes carry a high glycemic load. The best option is to steam the potato.
  • In general, try and cook at temperatures less than 350 degrees to help maintain the nutritional value of the food.
  • Use olive oil for sauteing at low temperatures. Use coconut to almond oils for deep frying as they do not turn into free radicals at high heats.
  • Mix it up, try adding new ingredients to an old recipe to give it a fresh flavor.
  • Cook with flavor. add garlic, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric. These are all good for you with numerous health benefits.

In short, food is medicine, and you are what you eat. So what do you want to be today?

   

 

No comments: