Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Top Ten Dont waste your money on!

I love to shop. But I don't like to buy anything unless I know I need it. So when I was pregnant with my little girl, I decided I would shop, but only if the item was functional, practical and necessary.

So here are my TOP TEN ITEMS you DON'T need.
Happy Shopping.

1.) Video Monitor

Parents often think they want to know every move their infants makes.
But, what I know as a pediatrician is that when baby sleeps it is time to give yourself a break.
A video monitor only increases your anxiety.
So enjoy yourself, relax, sleep or watch TV instead!
If your walls don't allow noise to permeate then an alternative is to invest in a sound only baby monitor.


Plain and simple, they are not accurate. We use them in clinics out of convenience, but if I really want to know what temperature my child is, I use a standard digital thermometer. If you are not sure how to use it, check with your doctor.


3.) Baby Scale

Your pediatrician should be monitoring your baby's weight. If your doctor is concerned ask them about the need for a scale. Otherwise, save your money. The one thing your baby will do naturally is gain weight! And you will notice, because the babies grow rapidly their first year, doubling their birth weight by about 4 months. 

4.) Wipes warmer

Not much to say here except, no you don't need this at all. Put the 20$ in a college fund.

5.) Sleep cushion for babies back

Unless your pediatrician recommends it, I don't think this is useful.

6.) Baby Mirrors Car
My daughter cried and cried in the car. We finally figured out that a specific song would sooth her. I bought various baby mirror (at least 3), they don't work! You can hardly see your child and in between you are trying so hard to find her in the mirror, it affected my driving.

7.) Boppy pillow for nursing

I got a hand me down, and I used it for about 1 week. Then it went into the closet.
A regular pillow works fine and doesn't cost more money or clutter.

8.) Bassinet: Oh, how I wanted one. They are so sweet looking. But! But,

if you have one or have a hand me down great you are lucky, use and recycle. But don't go out and buy a new one. They cost around $100 and your infant will grow out it so quickly. A pack n Play is a more practical alternative which can be used for multiple purposes as your child grows.

9.) Baby Einstein and baby DVD's

If you don't have them, you wont need them. if you start using them, it will be taught to survive without them. Contrary to popular belief, they don't help you baby learn.

10.) Bouncy seat:

Useful if you don't purchase a swing, buy realistically, you don't need both. Pick one. I preferred the swing, it was a more expensive, but your baby can use it longer.

No comments: