Monday, December 8, 2008

The Top Ten on My Baby Registry

Because I am a pediatrician,  everyone assumed that I knew exactly what I needed when my baby was born. 

Part of that was true, I had seen so many versions of car seats, strollers, toys, and bottles. And I knew which items were gimmicks, (which I will get to at my next post).

But as a mommy to be, I too felt like buying cute baby stuff I knew I did not really need. However, with the help of my baby daddy I stayed true to my "needs" list, not my "want" list.

So here are my picks!       
      
                             1.) Graco Snap and Go Stroller 

Say forget it to those amazingly expensive strollers. I too, liked the look and feel of them, but really, how necessary are they? 

Do they really make a difference in the long run?
 No, your kid wont remember what you toted him around in.

This stroller was practical and easy to use.

It is inexpensive, portable, lightweight, durable, has a coffee cup holder for those java addicts and it fits with most standard car seats.

2.) Medela Breast Pump- FREESTYLE

This breast pump is like a blue tooth headset, you can type, talk on the phone,even make dinner, without having to hold the annoying breast pump to your chest. 

And, for you wild women, you could double pump at the same time, hands free. This is a bit pricey, but if you know you will breast feed for a while, and you have to go back to work, this is definitely worth it. 

Added bonus, lightweight, compact and can operate 
on a battery. I took this to Vegas in my purse.





3.) Organic Crib Bedding and Mattress

This is a more pricey option than the conventional crib mattress and bedding, but babies spend so much time sleeping. Because of that, the crib mattress and sheet seem to me to be the most important thing to buy organic. So be frugal on organic clothes and other stuff, because your child will grow out of it, but you know the extra dollars will last longer with the organic mattress and crib sheets.

I purchased mine from the store listed below, they were fast, efficient and so far the mattress has worked out great. There were many other options online, but this was the best bang for my buck.

www.daxstores.com/v-snq-crib.html

4.) Breastfeeding Cover-up

Oh, how I needed this. 

I love to wear short skirts, but I was never into nursing in public.

This cover-up allowed me to feed my baby, pay attention to her and actually leave my house!

www.rightstart.com/global/store/product-item-9199-dept-feeding.html

An inexpensive version of this is also available at Target, or if you are creative, you can stitch one yourself.

              
  5.) Activity  Mat

All infants love this and it is portable and easy to clean and assemble. Great for vacations, if you are luck enough to have one!  Go to google and type in infant activity mat and you will find this priced around 30-40$.



6.) mypublisher.com

OK, this doesn't go on your registry, but it is so important I could not wait until I do my blog on the best websites!

Upload your pictures fast and easily. You can create great photo books, calendars etc. 
My favorite feature, they have great sales and discounts at Costco.com 

7.) Favorite Book!

"My Friends", by Taro Gomi

I love this book, my daughter loves it too. Great pictures, easy to read, and will entertain as they get older. Most people love Goodnight Moon, but this was my favorite.



8.) Colic Woes?

Harvey Karp's, "Happiest Baby on the Block is awesome, the DVD is great for those who don't have time to read, but what got us thru many many rough colicky evenings was his White Noise CD- called the "Super-Soother" White Noise.

My daughter would be screaming and as soon as we turned on "Rain on the Roof" she would stop. Thanks Dr. Karp!

Cheaper option:
I tell my patients to use a vacuum cleaner or hair dryer to create the same effect, but when you are in the car, on vacation, or just strung out, the CD by Dr. Karp works wonders.
go to www.thehappiestbaby.com

By the way, it is best to know about colic before it happens, so if you have the extra cash, get the book/DVD before the baby arrives. If your baby is colicky, this book will save you a few trips to the pediatrician and the stress of not understanding the screaming.

9.) California Baby Body Wash
Gentle, non-toxic and bio-degradable. All words you want to hear when you apply something to your babies face. Added bonus, easily available at Target.


10.) AAP guide to your child's first year.

Order it before your baby arrives so you might actually get to read it.

Another tip- ask your pediatrician for a copy, I always hand this out to my new families for free!




That is all for now. Stay tuned for the top ten what not to buy list.
















No comments: